- Letter to the Editor
- Open Access
Reply to letter to editor
© The Author(s) 2012
- Received: 17 August 2012
- Accepted: 1 September 2012
- Published: 13 September 2012
- Public Health
- Internal Medicine
- Neuropathic Pain
- Systemic Therapy
We appreciate Dr. Kapoor’s interest in our article on the treatment of postherpetic neuralgia with the capsaicin 8 % patch . Postherpetic neuralgia can be very difficult to treat and the development of new therapies is needed, particularly given the potential for side effects from current systemic therapies . Vitamin C has low side effect liability and has been found to favorably affect one type of neuropathic pain, reducing the risk of complex regional pain syndrome following the wrist fracture . We agree that further investigation of this agent in other types of neuropathic pain, such as postherpetic neuralgia, is warranted.
Conflict of interest
Nulifer Guleyupoglu has served as a consultant for NeurogesX and Eli Lilly and Co. Russell K. Portenoy served as consultant for Arsenal Medical Inc., Pfizer, Grupo Ferrer, Transcept Pharma and Xenon. Russell K. Portenoy also received departmental educational/research grants from Allergan, Ameritox, Boston Scientific, Covidien Mallinckrodt Inc., Endo Pharmaceuticals, Forest Labs, K-Pax Pharmaceuticals, Medtronic, Otsuka Pharma, ProStrakan, Purdue Pharma, Salix and St. Jude Medical. Sait Ashina, MD, has served as a consultant for NeurogesX and Depomed.
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and the source are credited.
- Sayanlar J, Guleyupoglu N, Portenoy R, Ashina S (2012) Trigeminal postherpetic neuralgia responsive to treatment with capsaicin 8 % topical patch: a case report. J Headache Pain. doi:10.1007/s10194-012-0467-0PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Douglas MW, Johnson RW, Cunningham AL (2004) Tolerability of treatments for postherpetic neuralgia. Drug Saf 27:1217–1233, 15588117, 10.2165/00002018-200427150-00005, 1:CAS:528:DC%2BD2MXhtVCmsLs%3DView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zollinger PE, Tuinebreijer WE, Breederveld RS, Kreis RW (2007) Can vitamin C prevent complex regional pain syndrome in patients with wrist fractures? A randomized, controlled, multicenter dose-response study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:1424–1431, 17606778, 10.2106/JBJS.F.01147, 1:STN:280:DC%2BD2szovFektg%3D%3DView ArticlePubMedGoogle Scholar